PolyWorks|Inspector™ Premium Tip
When you inspect polygonal models that have incidental holes, such as those left by targets used for device positioning, those holes may cause confusion when sharing/reporting results. With the PolyWorks|Inspector 2019 Premium package, which includes PolyWorks|Modeler™ Light, you now have access to tools for both automatic and interactive hole filling. With the help of these tools, you can improve your scan data aesthetics to facilitate easy review of the overall part geometry and eliminate confusion with holes in the actual part.
Step by step: To fill holes in a polygonal model from PolyWorks|Inspector™:
1. In PolyWorks|Inspector™, right-click the polygonal model and choose
Transfer to PolyWorks|Modeler™ from the shortcut menu that is displayed.
PolyWorks|Modeler™ Light starts with a new project containing the polygonal model (see NOTE).
2. In PolyWorks|Modeler™ Light, click the Automatic Hole Filling button
on the Polygons toolbar. In the Fill Holes Automatically dialog box that is displayed:
- Set the size of the largest holes to fill using Max distance (distance between two opposing boundaries).
- Click Apply. When the operation is completed, click Close.
3. Optional: Interactively fill larger holes:
- Click the Interactive Hole Filling button on the Polygons toolbar. The Fill Holes Interactively dialog box is displayed, and an interactive picking mode is launched.
- Click the holes you want to fill in the 3D scene.
- Optional: Use additional tools for partial hole filling and edge cleaning. For complete information, click the ? on the title bar.
- Click Close.
- Save the project.
4. Return the polygonal model to the original inspection project:
- Right-click over the polygonal model and click Transfer to PolyWorks|Inspector™ on the shortcut menu that is displayed.
- Provide adequate parameters in the import dialog box and click OK.
NOTE: If you have a PolyWorks|Modeler™ Standard or Premium license, either one of these will be started instead of PolyWorks|Modeler™ Light, as they contain more tools to edit polygonal models.