Providing superior meshing capabilities to the manufacturing community since its first release, PolyWorks|Modeler™ expands the use of polygons for manufacturing applications by delivering unique polygon editing tools that prepare models for 3-axis & 5-axis milling, CFD & FEA analysis, and rapid prototyping.
Using its optional NURBS Surfacing module, PolyWorks|Modeler™ also offers powerful NURBS surface generation tools to convert a polygonal surface into an accurate NURBS model that can be imported directly into all major CAD/CAM software.
PolyWorks|Modeler™ features include;
- Transform aligned point clouds into highly accurate polygonal models using PolyWorks’® unique tolerance-based adaptive meshing technology.
- Reconstruct perfect polygonal features from imperfectly digitised geometry.
- Apply all typical CAD operations directly to polygonal models and prepare these models for a wide variety of manufacturing applications such as milling, rapid prototyping, reverse engineering, inspection, CFD & FEA, digital review, etc.
- Use automatic feature-tracking tools to quickly generate curve networks.
- Constrain the automatic surfacing process to predefined curves in order to create more logical curve networks.
- Control the rigidity of the fitted NURBS surfaces, by minimising the number of control points and patches.
PolyWorks|Modeler™ is a flexible solution that is optimised to handle up to 100 million points, from any 3d digitising equipment.
Quadrilateral meshes of digitised parts can be created for finite element analysis software, without having to edit polygonal models or fit NURBS surfaces.
Ten times faster than any other comparable workflow, the PolyWorks® solution morphs CAD models onto digitised polygons to create perfect models in a wink.
Morphed triangular models are then converted to quadrilateral meshes, with the possibility of manually controlling local quadrilateral size.
- Fully supports all high-density point cloud 3D digitisers
- Includes mesh generation and editing
- Imports IGES and STEP files
- Includes polygonal morphing
- Includes quadrilateral meshing
- Includes a complimentary license of PolyWorks|Inspector™ Probing
Generate CAD-friendly freeform surfaces
Professional CAD/CAM solutions do not typically offer 3D modeling tools for polygonal models. One common way to transfer the surface of a digitised object into CAD/CAM software consists in fitting a network of NURBS surfaces over a polygonal model built from digitised point clouds. NURBS surfaces are ideal to mathematically describe freeform surfaces, plus they are CAD/CAM friendly.
PolyWorks|Modeler™ offers an intuitive surfacing approach in which curves are first laid down on a polygonal model, and then automatically intersected to form four-sided or N-sided trimmed NURBS patches. Next, the NURBS patches are used to control the fitting of a continuous network of NURBS surfaces. Fitted surfaces can then be exported to IGES or STEP files and directly imported into your favourite CAD/CAM application for further processing.
PolyWorks|Modeler’s NURBS surfacing technology offers a remarkable balance between lead time and surface quality, thanks to:
- Intuitive curve reshaping methods and curvature-continuous curves
- The best NURBS surface-fitting engine on the reverse-engineering market in terms of quality (accuracy, smoothness, and continuity) and flexibility (trimmed surfaces and T-junctions, curvature-based two-step fitting process, and the possibility of blending fitted surfaces to an existing CAD model for local CAD reconstruction purposes)
- G2-, G1-, or G0-continuity control over NURBS patch boundaries
- Automatic G2 surface fitting in areas where NURBS patches have a rectangular topology
Build solid CAD models from optimised geometric entities
The solid modeling philosophy of PolyWorks|Modeler™ consists in optimising the extraction of geometric entities on digitised polygonal models, and then transferring these entities to your corporate feature-based solid CAD modeller to guarantee the creation of parametric, associative, and fully editable solid models.
A fundamental building block in a solid modeling workflow is the parametric 2D sketch. 2D sketches consist in planar entities, such as arcs, lines, circles, and splines, defined on a plane embedded in 3D space.
In solid-modelling software, sketches are used to create solid base features by performing Extrude, Revolve, Sweep, and Loft operations. Sketches are created by:
- Defining a sketch plane
- Computing a sketch outline by slicing cross-sections of the digitised model or extracting its silhouette edge
- Anchoring and fitting sketch entities and dimensions, guided by the sketch outline
The parametric sketches are then transferred to the solid CAD modeler by using add-ins (for CATIA, NX, Creo, SolidWorks, and Inventor) or a neutral format (IGES). You can then combine the sketches and fitted NURBS surfaces, use the dimensions from fitted prismatic geometry, and design the solid model you want—all done directly in the professional CAD solution that you’re most familiar with. The solid modeling possibilities are unlimited with PolyWorks|Modeler™, so let your creativity lead the way!
|Point cloud digitiser support||•||•|
|Single point measuring device support||•||•|
|Point cloud meshing||•||•|
|One year support||•||•|
|More info||More info|